Tuesday, February 3, 2009

"Revolucion/El Arbol"
In nicaragua
every man i met
every real man
had fought in the war

we were in sapoa
where it had started
where they had stayed
after the revolution blew away

I asked my uncle Dionisio
how he got that 8 inch scar
on his belly
he wouldn't tell me
and yet
I already knew

Over the Panamerican Highway
over the heart of Sapoa
there stands a tree

I never knew its name
but I stood in its shadow
every day.

I knew
I always knew
that we were always
walking in the shade



This has huge meaning for me. More than any other poem I've written in a while.
POST SOME SHIT!!! COMMENT SOME SHIT!!! LISTEN TO SALLY!!!

3 comments:

  1. I really can't even say how much I like this. I was going to try and give some type of criticism but I really am not sure what i would change. Write more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're defination of a real Nicaraguan man is being in the war?

    I only knew one man in the war. The rest of the men were kids during the eighties. They're not men?

    ReplyDelete
  3. no, that's not really what I was saying john, more like:
    "The people I respected most had fought in the war."
    The war started in my town, so about every man over 40 had fought in it, on the Sandinista or Samosa side.
    You're right though, maybe I should rephrase that.

    ReplyDelete