Thursday, February 5, 2009

Ode to the Microwave

Microwave?
If you ever loved me,
please respond to my pleas.
I remember your humming and the
sizzling sound
my food made once you finished heating it.
I remember the day we burned popcorn
together and we needed to air out the
house to get rid of that stench.
At least then,
I knew you still were on my team.
I remember those leftovers
you reheated up for me
when I was famished after
school and I remember your
gleeful buzz to tell me
it was time to eat.
You always wanted to help me and
I did everything I could to help you.
I fixed your clock when there
was a power failure.
I never pushed all of your buttons,
just the numbers that I needed.
I never left your fan on
for extended periods of time.
But that day you
went on strike
and you gave me
cold creamed corn
at dinner.
I thought it would pass. 
Then you gave me 
cold soup.
I didn't want gazpacho
and you wouldn't pop popcorn.
You have a cruel heart.
I wanted to take you in
for counciling but
the counciler discriminated
against you in a very
racist fashion.
She called me an idiot
saying E-Waves aren't any good.
Now today,
I look at your body.
You won't cook or chirp
anymore.
I realize that our relationship
was ill-fated.
I realize that your just
a no good piece of junk.



This poem means a lot to me.  It is symbolic.  I really want comments on it.

1 comment:

  1. I laughed. Really hard. I'm not sure if that is what you wanted. But it is really good. Like, somehow, the image is so perfect. That's exactly what it's like when some stupid cheap appliance breaks.
    I want there to be more about the microwave's cruel heart...

    ReplyDelete