Sunday, April 19, 2009

Good stuff

Apology from a Criminal to a Cash Register

I'm sorry for my crimes.
I failed to recogize that
you're not just a fire proof safe
or a simple strongbox.
You're more than that
and I respect you
for all that you have done for us.
I didn't mean to insult you when I said
"Open the motherfucking register"
to the uneducated clerk at that gas station.
The truth is that you're
worth more than that "dumbshit behind the counter".
I'm sorry that he didn't believe me
when I said I that I had a gun.
I guess he didn't speak English very well.
He should have assimilated but
he called the cops and scared me
and the bullet landed right above his lip
and that "ain't ever gonna call nobody 'gain".
The worst thing about that is
he spilled his blood all over
your precious face.
Even worse is that he locked you.
I ripped you right off the counter
and you looked in pain as your wires
flailed up from the bottom of the counter.
I didn't handle you with care.
I threw you in the back of
that stolen Astro van
which I should have scrapped instead.
We drove down that highway
with sirens blairing
and "that piece of shit van" ran out of gas.
I got out and left the door open
which I should have closed
to keep you warm.
I should have loved you
when I had the chance
The police made me lay down
and cuffed me away from you.
At my trial "fat, bitch ass nigga" behind
the bench me away
just like they did to you for life
and he wouldn't let me say goodbye.
You're evidence of my actions
but not my love
and I'm a prisoner of both.
I hope you're able
to forgive me for all
that I have put you through.
Please remember that
I love you.


I am feeling pretty good about this one. It's original. I'm trying something differnet styleisticly. I've written in a more educated sounding style with glimpses of an obsecnity-filled vernacular which I hope gives the reader a differnet picture of the speaker who should give the reader a new prospective of life. I need comments on this one.

1 comment:

  1. I can't remember the last time I read something that intrigued me in the same way really odd visual art does. This does. It is original, intensely ironic and completely unbalancing.
    I want to know what prompted the love in the mind of the criminal, I guess.
    One thing: I think you want a different word than assimilated in the line "He should have assimilated but/"
    It doesn't quite fit.

    ReplyDelete