Wednesday, March 11, 2009

I'm the only one who posts anymore.

Ode to Paper

You were a tree.
A vibrent, living tree.
A bird family may have lived in you.
You could have given fruit.
We cut you down.

A ream of you is going to the hospital.
You're going to be the bill
for the old man, who can't pay
and he's going to try to barrow some money
from people who don't want him living
anymore.

A ream of you is going to the preschool.
You're going to be the background
for that macaroni art
of the three year old, who is going to
give it to his grandma out of love
and she's going to leave you up
on her fridge to remind her of her grandson
forever.

A ream of you is going to the company.
You're going to be a flyer
that's a vibrant color which
the mediocre salesman, who hates his job,
is putting on the windshields of cars
at the ballpark during the game
and you're going to blow away
or get placed in the wastebasket
so you can go to the landfill to rot
indefinitely. 

A ream of you is going to me.
You're going to be the keeper
of my poem which I could share
with my friends, who like things like this
or I could hide you in my drawer
or I could end it all with a twist of
my wrists and split you down the middle to
end it all. 

2 comments:

  1. Enter something into the poetry contest. Possibly this. I like it a lot. It kind of made me want to cry but in a good way.
    The deadline is this friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cry in a good way? How?

    My objective was to shed some light on paper which is something we take for granted without even thinking. Paper can inflict joy, sorrow, indifference and countless other emotions.

    I thought that the opening stanza was a little bit weak and the ending took the reader off of a cliff. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete